Feeling thirsty. Have severe ra. Taking methotrexate and humira. What is the life expectancy?

Question
I cannot afford to pay. :-(( I don't have a credit card. My problem is excessive thirst since April. I drink about 5 gallons of water per day. I've been tested for diabetes, and there is no sign of either type. I also had a complete blood cell count ordered by my Rheumatologist as I have SEVERE RA and take Methotrexate and Humira. Everything on the blood count was normal except my white cell count which was 12.1 with a lot of myelocytes. Does this mean I will die soon of leukemia? My doctor seems to be hedging on this one.
Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 in Arthritis

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 1 hour later
Hello

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

I don't think it is leukemia. You don't come to conclusion by one test only.

I would like to know fever or any other sort of infection. In here entity known as shift to left occurs in response to infections, where precursor cells will increase in peripheral smear. It will usually will subside by itself when the infection reduces.

You can repeat your peripheral smear a week later.

Regarding your excessive thirst, you can do a test known as Hb1Ac estimation. It will provide information about last 3 months of sugar in your blood.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer

Follow-up: Feeling thirsty. Have severe ra. Taking methotrexate and humira. What is the life expectancy? 12 hours later
Thank you so very much for your answer. Leukemia was mentioned by my doctor as a possiblity, and I was VERY, VERY concerned because of the medications I take for severe RA. I will ask my other doctor about the HbiAc estimation test. I know he tested for diabetes, and it was negative, but I am not CERTAIN just what test he used. Diabetes does not run in my family history, and I have always eaten a very good diet...devoid of a lot of sweets, "empty" calories, etc. and eat LOTS of fresh fruits and vegetables. Still I will ask about the test. Thank you so much. I've used mainly water to quench the excessive thirst. This problem has gone on since April, so I guess you can imagine how miserable the "thirst" problem is as it's kept me pretty much confined to home. Is there anything else I should drink to relieve this thirst? Thank you.

Hello
Good to hear from you.

Even the increased thirst might be related to the summer, during this period our body demands more water due to dehydration.

It is fine you can consume water. Kindly consult the doctor regarding which test has been done for DM and do go for Hb1Ac estimation.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you good health.