Feeling pain while breathing, tightness and pressure in throat. Discomfort spreading to chest. Any thoughts?

Jan 2013

I have a strange strong sensation of significant discomfort on each inhale. It started a week ago as a tightness/pressure in my throat (on inhale only) - it felt as if I have something rising in the throat, some pressure from the "below the throat". It did not linger at first, so i dismissed the sensation. It came back a day or two later, much stronger, and lasted longer (two hours or so). In several days, the discomfort spread onto the upper part of my chest. For the past 12 hours it has been very strong. The best I can describe it (at present state) that on each inhale, there is a considerable tightness in my very upper chest, as if I am heavily congested, plus, there is the throat discomfort, plus it feels that I need to relieve pressure on my eardrums, as if I am descending on a plane.all these sensations come as one. Lying down on my back or on the belly is especially unpleasant - the sensation become painful; I need to prop myself up in bed. On exhale all the sensations are considerably lessened. Any thoughts on what thar can be?
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 21 minutes later
Your symptoms suggest some sort of throat infection/ inflammation initially which has involved upper chest sequentially.
You should go for ENT check up and physician check up.
Involvement of ears may be due to blockade of Eustachian tube (a tube connecting nasopharynx with middle ear).
A thorough ENT check up is mandatory.
Sometimes patient has chest tightness and examination done by physician is absolutely normal. In such cases, patient has been diagnosed as cough variant asthma and patient gets relief by steroid and anticholinergics inhalation therapy.
If your ENT check up is normal and your response with inhalational therapy is not good then you should go for cardiac evaluation.
If cardiac evaluation is also normal then you should also consult with psychiatrist as you are already taking Xanax and symptoms may be due to anxiety.
Put your query if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Feeling pain while breathing, tightness and pressure in throat. Discomfort spreading to chest. Any thoughts? 15 hours later
Thank you very much! I saw an internist today, he looked into my ears, throat, did EKG and X-Rays. I am diagnosed with acute pericarditis. He prescribed me indomethacin and now I am waiting to see the improvement.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 3 hours later

Get well soon,

Dr.Mayank Bhargava