Feeling pain in the ear. Diagnosed with Eustachian-tube infection. Remedy?

ENT Specialist
Hello Doctor!
I am 17 years old, male.
Since 6 months ago, I've started feeling a weird kind of pain in my right ear. I can't actually describe it well, but it's kind of blockage(as if there were a simple amount of air). And there is no hearing problems.
I went to a doctor and he said that I have sinus problems, thus causing this ear's pain. And that my ear has no problems. He also said that I have Eustachian-tube infection, but I don't know.. I have no symptoms for it, I don't even hear that "pop" sound after doing what they say: "Inhale, then exhale while you closing your nose and mouth".
I also find it helpful to tell you that there's a tooth ache along with this ear's pain.
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 1 hour later

First of all do not do ---"Inhale, then exhale while you closing your nose and mouth".
This may lead to spread of throat infection to your ears, especially when you have pain.
You have tooth pain on the side of ear pain ---they can be related and it can be only tooth ache and which is getting referred to the ears. So see a dentist to rule out infection of tooth.

You have blocked sensation in ears and most commonly this is because of eustachian tube blockage; there are various reasons for that like sinus disease.
It is not necessary that you hear that pop sensation as, it is seen-- when the blockage opens on applying pressure but, if the tube does not open up then you cannot feel that sensation.

You can do--
-     See a dentist
-     Take oral decongestant tablets
-     Nasal decongestant drops but for few days only
-     Mucolytic tablets
-     Steam inhalation
-     If required or pain increases then you may need antibiotics.

If you want to confirm that its eustachian tube block then you may get done Impedance Audiometry.
Get well soon.
Please reply in case of doubts.
Follow-up: Feeling pain in the ear. Diagnosed with Eustachian-tube infection. Remedy? 1 hour later
Would gumming a gum help?
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 4 hours later

Yes, chewing a gum will help, as it opens up the tube and helps in ventilation of ear.

But if it pains then do not do that for some time ,and then you may need antibiotics.

Eustachian tube functions recovers ,after proper medication (decongestants) in 8-10 days , so do not worry as takes a few days.

Do reply if you have any doubt.