Feeling pain in lower jaw near wisdom tooth. Lymph node swollen. Having shock wave pain in the ear. What can be the cause?

ENT Specialist

I am on vacation in Cancun Mexico and woke up today feeling slightly off. I've got slight pain in my lower right jaw near my wisdom tooth, but the tooth itself does not hurt. There is also pain the ear on that side. My nose has not been that runny today, but on Friday when I entered the ocean a wave crashed and sent a shockwave a pain down my right ear. There was water in there, but I felt like I got it out. Now I'm feeling very warm (also got a lot of sun yesterday) and have no idea what is going on. My right lymph node is swallen also.
Posted Mon, 15 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 1 hour later

Based on the details provided, I suspect that there could be an infection in the ear and you are getting referred pain to other areas. Mostly the infection is in middle part of ear. In such cases if you do not take proper medications the pain may increase and there can be development of infected material development in the ear ,which will put pressure on the ear drum.

I urge you to see an ENT surgeon. He will examine your ear and throat and if features are consistent with infection, he would start you on antibiotics, oral / nasal decongestants and anti inflammatory drugs.

In the interim, I recommend that you take steam inhalation thrice a day.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Get well soon.