Feeling pain and itching sensation in left side of testicle. What is causing this?

sometime i have pain in my scrotum of left side of testicle. Some time i have itching sensation in the same area (inside the scrotum). Can i know the reason why it happen ? and i am facing this problem for past 2 to 3 years, but now it has increased. Some time if jog or walk for longer hour, the pain start in my left side of scrotum.
Posted Fri, 9 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 42 minutes later

Thanks for writing to Healthcare Magic.

The first important step in your case is to ensure that there is no associated swelling in the concerned area. Swelling of the scrotum can be due to hydrocele, which is a painless accumulation of fluid in the affected side. The definitive diagnosis of a hydrocele can be made by an ultrasound and the treatment is surgical aspiration of the fluid inside the scrotum.

If no swelling is detected, and there is isolated pain in the left testicle as you mentioned, epididymitis or inflammation of the epididymitis, which is part of the testicle, need to be strongly considered. It can occur in sexually active men and the possibility of Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD) like gonorrhea is likely. Specific blood tests will diagnose if you are having an STD.

In men over 35 years old, infection is most often due to a nonsexually transmitted Gram-negative enteric organism causing urinary tract infections, eg Escherichia coli but a sexual history is a must in all cases.

In Indian setting, filariasis can result in testicular pain and inflammation. It is a slow and gradual process, which can continue for several years. Since you have a 2 - 3 year history, this condition needs to be kept in mind as well.

Do remember that a few cases of testicular pain are idiopathic or no cause can be ascertained. In some rare cases, testicular pain can arise due to chronic intake of certain drugs like amiodarone. However, in your case, there is no history suggestive of the same.

So please get an ultrasound done to confirm the presence or absence of any fluid. If the ultrasound does not reveal a hydrocele, please consult your Venerologist to rule out the possibility of STDs.

Please do not delay in getting yourself evaluated.

Follow-up: Feeling pain and itching sensation in left side of testicle. What is causing this? 43 minutes later
Thanks a lot doctor for your prompt response.

Regarding my problem, i don't have pain in my left testical the pain is around left testical scrotum and i feel little clot type with tenderness, if i press it then it pain or otherwise when i do jogging or long walk it pain. or sometime if i wear tight pant. It is not regulare pain and it in period of some interval 2 or 3 days. some time even after week or fortnight.

I had consult the doctor 2 years back regarding the same problem, he suggested me to wear a loss pant as i use to wear a very tight pant, he said due to erosion in part it might be the case.

I had done the STD test. their is no sign of STD. And thier is no feeling of fuild other than the tenderness of clotted area as mentioned above.

Can you suggest me any Specific test has to be done ?a part from the test mentioned above
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 2 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

It is good to know that STD tests have been done and it has been ruled out.

There are 2 questions coming to my mind. First, why are you referring the area as "clotted" ? Are you suggesting there was some trauma following which the doctor detected accumulation of blood resulting in tenderness (pain on touching) ?

Secondly, why didnt you consult a doctor in 2 years considering that your problem is worrisome ?

I suggest you dont get any blood tests done for the moment. In fact no specific test can diagnose your problem.

An ultrasound followed by a consultation is the single best option available for you.

I hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: Feeling pain and itching sensation in left side of testicle. What is causing this? 1 hour later
Thank doctor for reply

To answer your 2 question.

Regarding the clotted and tenderness next to testical, i am facing this problem from past 2 or 3 month. Earlier when i checked (2year back with doctor) it was not majore problem, but the pain was in same place and was not frequently.

and answer to second question, i did not consult any doctor in this 2 years because as my previous doctor informed i wear tight pant and travel almost 3 + hours daily in BUS (in Bombay) due this the pain arise (as i mentioned in my previous mail). Now i travel almost 4 + hours daily in BUS (in Bangalore) for almost 1 + years but the frequent pain started for past 2 or 3 months and the increase in the clotted type of tenderness.

Thanks for your suggestion, i will do the ultrasound testing.

Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 4 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

I hope you are following the advice of your doctor with regard to comfortable clothing.

Since the problem has continued to persist, you do certainly require a consultation now. Tenderness in the area might indicate an inflammatory process and would need medical attention.

I hope you shall update me on the ultrasound report.

Follow-up: Feeling pain and itching sensation in left side of testicle. What is causing this? 4 days later
Dear Madam,

Kindly find the details of report UTS of Scrotum (Typed as per written in the report) as i don't have scanner i am not able to upload the report. (BUT I WILL TRY TO DO SO ONCE IF I AM IN OFFICE).

Both testes are normal in size and show homogenous normal echotexture. There is no focal lesion.

Doppler study shows normal arterial flow in both testes.

Length AP Trans
Right testis : 4.4 2.2 2.5 cm (13.3cc)

Left testis : 4.1 2.0 2.8 cm (12.3cc)

Epididymis and spermatic cord appear normal bialterally.

There is no abormal fluid in tunica vaginalis.

Multiple mildly dilated venous channels are noted in left scrotal wall and spermatic cord largest measuring 2.2mm. Flow reflux is noted these veins during valsalva.

Please suggest what treatment should i have to avail and what is the reason of formation of GRADE II Varicocele.

Waiting for your reply.

With regards,
Hello there,

Thanks for writing back.

I am glad you have provided the details of the ultrasound report.

You need not upload the report as you have already given a complete and clear ultrasound report.

In general,varicocele treatment may not be necessary. However, in your case, the problem has persisted for over 3 years now and causing pain so you should undergo a surgery to cure your problem. Testicular atrophy and infertility can occur in the long run and so surgery is indicated in your case.

Your Surgeon will now give you the best possible advice advice on what exactly has to be done. Kindly take your ultrasound report when you XXXXXXX him next.

Wishing you all the best.