Feeling on and off abdominal pain and swollen stomach after periods. Took paracetamol. Any ideas?

May 2013
Hi just had my monthly cycle which was very short. For the last few days i have had abdoninal pain below the belly button. comes and goes and stomach feels swollen. Cervix seems hard to touch. Been keeping me awake for the last few nights. had paracetamol which eased it last night. had night sweat last night too, feeling quite tired and having afternoon naps. had d&c december last year. kind of feels like a blockage. bowels moving ok. any ideas
Posted Mon, 8 Oct 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

The symptoms you described are appearing as perimenopausal symptoms which occur due to hormonal imbalance.
The age of perimenopuase will differ from person to person.
Some women during perimenopause experience lighter periods which will gradually turn into complete cessation of periods called menopause.
The night sweats, fatigue, bloating sensation etc are also symptoms of perimenopause.

Cervix will be firm to hard to touch usually, some hypertrophy etc can make it appear further hard.
If there is no bleeding or excessive white discharge etc no need to bother about it.

So you once consult gynecologist and get examined to rule out other causes of hypomenorrhea like anemia, thyroid disorder etc.
When it is confirmed that the symptoms are only because of perimenopause and if your doctor suggests you can go for treatment like oral contraceptive pills etc.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.