Feeling of lump at the back of neck. Prescribed to do CBC, blood test. Could it be cancer?

lymphhi today i feel a small ball on my back of my neck i went to the doctor he said nothing to worry about tomorrow ill do s cbc and other blood test and im a bit worried could it be a cancer
hi today i felt a small ball on back of my left neck doctor said that i shouldnt be worry im afraid that i caught a cancer tomorrow im gonna make cbc and other test how do i know if it not cancer
Posted Wed, 18 Jul 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 6 hours later

Though there are many causes which can present with lump in neck, cancer should be ruled out if symptoms strongly suggest cancer. Considering you do are asymptomatic and the size of the lump is small it is likely to be an inflamed lymph node or a benign tumour. Serious malignant cancer is unlikely.

Complete blood count (CBC) and blood tests can’t rule out cancer. So if there is any suspicion you need to get FNAC/biopsy of the lump. Ultrasonography and Computed tomography (CT) scan can also be useful to identify the nature of lump - whether it is an inflamed lymph node or tumour.

So ideal approach would be to see an oncologist and then get investigations done as needed.

Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need more information.

Follow-up: Feeling of lump at the back of neck. Prescribed to do CBC, blood test. Could it be cancer? 14 hours later
hi doc i would like to tell u that my cbc test was fine even the ESR doctor told me to watch in 2 weeks is there other way to check it so that i can be not worried about
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 7 hours later
Hello and thanks again,

In that case ultrasonography and CT scan can be desired investigations to know what this lump is.

Other approach is to wait and watch for say two weeks and see how this progresses and then get investigations done if fresh symptoms appear. A biopsy can follow if there is a suspicious looking lump on the scan report.

Hope this clarifies your doubt. Let me know if you have any other query.

Wish you good health