Feeling of ants crawling on thigh under skin, no bite or rashes. What is it?

Jul 2012

i am a 25 year old female im 198 lbs 5ft5".3 years ago i strarted getting a spot on my thight that would feel like ants crawling under my skin but it was only in one spot then eventually its spread to my whole body.i fel i have ants under my skin and i get biting feelings all over at random times.theres no bites or rashes anywhere and i know ITS NOT IN MY HEAD so dont tell me that,people just dont start imagining after 25 yrs theres crawling feelings under their skin
Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later
Hi there XXXXXXX The condition you describe is commonly referred to as 'paraesthesia'. Relax, i get it..its NOT in your head. If i may say so, your weight for height does seem on the 'higher' side. Is there any other relevant medical history or family history vis-a-vis Diabetis Mellitus, Obesity, any other medical disorders concomittantly or a similar issue in your parents'/family members? Is it possible that anyone else in your surroundings has a 'similar' feeling? It may just be an easily remedied parasitic infection. It may have something to do with ? 'flea bites' if you have carpets/dogs etc. We may have to run some blood tests et al depending on your reply to these queries. Is it possible for you to upload a photograph of the initial lesion on the thigh? In the interim, please take a night-time dose of a particular antihistamine called hydroxyzine hydrocloride (commonly known as atarax worldwide) in a 25mg dose to allay symptoms. I wish you well & look forward to hearing from you. Cheers! Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Follow-up: Feeling of ants crawling on thigh under skin, no bite or rashes. What is it? 9 hours later
hello dr.thankyou fr your actually the only one in my family whos overweight.i was only 125 lbs up until 5 years ag when i had my first child and ive had a secnd child far as the spot on my thigh there was never a skin lesion or any type of marks on the skin, it was just under the skin i thought maybe it was a pinched nerve at the time.diabetis doesnt run in my family nor has anyone have similar husband sleeps in the same bed and says he never has felt what i have.thankyou and i am loking forward for yur reply:-)
Hi there once again XXXXXXX Obesity or Excess weight as the case may be has a role to play in 'pinching' nerves. It is very possible that the paraesthesias could be related to 'nerve entrapments' as in these nerves getting compressed & resultant pins & needles or 'ants crawling' sensations. If no-one around is experiencing similar symptoms, then this is more likely to be as i stated. However, stressors cannot be ruled out & may have a bearing given you've had 2 kids shortly after one another ( personally i have 4 & appreciate the stressors my wife had to endure post-partum); sometimes these stressors are in our subconscious & manifests in various ways...delusions of parasitosis being one of them. I have recommeded a tablet earlier that is an antihistamine primararily with a mild anxiolytic effect. I suggest you add to that a local application of a common muscle relaxant cream 'Deep Heat' that by virtue of its 'counter-irritant' effect , will help in your case. I have used this in some of my patients with excellent results.
Follow-up: Feeling of ants crawling on thigh under skin, no bite or rashes. What is it? 32 minutes later
thankyou again for your answer.i will try the tablet and cream you have suggested.i will also go to my family dr and hopefully get his opinion on what to do.however not having insuranc is whi i have not went yet.the feeling of crawling and itching every day is getting old.thankyou for your opinion it was very helpful.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 48 minutes later
You are most welcome XXXXXXX Please do find time to rate us & dont you will be fine in a jiffy..hugs to the kids:-)
Follow-up: Feeling of ants crawling on thigh under skin, no bite or rashes. What is it? 10 hours later
Heya XXXXXXX Apologies but this site seems to have a mind of its own (technology!!)! Please do close the query if you choose to accept the answer & do give us a rating/follow-up on the presuming it will guide you through it; else, the software figures you have a 'follow-up' query & keeps sending me sms'es to reply :) Apologies again. Do stay in touch via this portal & you could always email me & stay in touch should you choose too but do please 'close' this particular discussion if you find the time. Cheers! Dr Rodrigues.