Feeling numbness and tingling. Blood test normal. Have neuropathy in feet. Suggestions?

Excellent
Question
I would like to know why I have neuropathy in my feet, when I have had every blood test known to man, and all came back normal or negative. It is a feeling of numbness and tingling.
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dilantin neuropathy

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,

Thanks for your query. Judging by your comment, you must have had all the basic tests, metabolic, hormonal, etc to explain a peripheral neuropathy and all came back normal.

I suspect that you are suffering from Dilantin neuropathy, which is a very well described phenomenon that could happen at any time during the course of medication but usually in chronic users. It is like you are saying characterized by a sensory neuropathy with tingling and numbness, but no motor signs.

It is many times reversible when discontinuing the drug; I suggest you talk to your prescribing provider and look for an alternative as soon as possible.

Let me share a reference about a great experiment that proved the nerve damage with this agent:

WWW.WWWW.WW
Also, if you go to Pfizers website on the medication, it is listed as a side effect.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Cardiology
Mayo Clinic MN

Follow-up: Feeling numbness and tingling. Blood test normal. Have neuropathy in feet. Suggestions? 23 minutes later
Thankyou, this does make total sense, as I have had epilepsy since childhood. One more question. I have to be on Dilantin or I will have grand mall seizures. I have not had a grand mall for 15 or 20 years. Are there alternatives to dilantin, that will control seizures as well? Thankyou for your time!

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, several options

Detailed Answer:
Yes, indeed there are several options other than Dilantin for grand mal seizures, the two most commonly prescibed are valproic acid and levetiracetam (Keppra); both are quite effective.

Glad I could help, wish you the best

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD

Follow-up: Feeling numbness and tingling. Blood test normal. Have neuropathy in feet. Suggestions? 46 minutes later
Thankyou very much!!! I will be talking to my doctor about these medications next week. Please have a wonderful weekend :)

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thank you

Detailed Answer:
Thank you, best regards