Feeling nausea and fast heartbeat. Taken ativan. Is it acid reflux or gastritis?

I have also been waking up in middle of the night with my heart racing and feeling nausea. It feels like I have a rubber band around my backside underneath ribs. I usually take tums or an antacid. sometimes I have taken ativan also. I usually feel better in an hour and then try to sleep. is it acid reflux or gastritis? I have been given EKG and it checked out normal.
Posted Mon, 22 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 2 hours later

I am sorry to hear about your problem. Based on your description, it is most likely flatulent acid dyspepsia associated with anxiety. It is flatulence or wind which gave rise to palpitation.

If it happens again I would advise you to see gastroenterologist for upper gastroenteroscopy and treatment.

I am pleased to know your EKG is normal.

I don't think you need any regular treatment for flatulent acid dyspepsia apart from looking after your diet. A few suggestions are:
(1) Don't eat too full
(2) Avoid too many fried and spicy food
(3) Avoid too hot or too cold food.
(4) Exercise regularly.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any further queries.

Kindest Regards
Dr. SK Mukherjee