Feeling like not emptying bowels and also smelly stools. Cure?

Excellent

Oncologist, Surgical
Question
Hi good evening.

I have a feeling of not emptying my bowels properly and also very smelly stools.

This has been happeninh for around 15 months.

Can you advise?

I have had a stool smaple done and that was negative.

Pls help?
Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Schedule a colonoscopy; increase fibre in diet

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Sorry to hear about your problem. A change in bowel habits can be a sign of an underlying problem and you have rightly got your stools sample checked. Sometimes the stools report cannot pick up an underlying problem and I would advise that you XXXXXXX a gastroenterologist and schedule a colonoscopy, as it might be able to pick up the cause of your symptoms.
In the meantime you should increase the roughage in your diet (fruits, green vegetables, fibre) and you can also include a laxative if you are having a lot of trouble.
Are you symptoms associated with weight loss and loss of appetite as well?

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.

Follow-up: Feeling like not emptying bowels and also smelly stools. Cure? 3 minutes later
No symptoms of weight loss or loss of appetite.

Is this serious would you say?

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not to be ignored

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for asking your question. Unfortunately, you age is not mentioned in the question. If you are above 40 years, this problem is quite serious and should not be ignored. A colonoscopy should definitely be done as soon as possible.

Follow-up: Feeling like not emptying bowels and also smelly stools. Cure? 30 minutes later
I am 34

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Try laxatives; colonoscopy if problem persists

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

I would still recommend a colonoscopy but you can try life style modifications which I have pointed out previously and also try a laxative. If the problem persists, please schedule a colonoscopy.

Follow-up: Feeling like not emptying bowels and also smelly stools. Cure? 7 minutes later
Ok could this be IBS? Maybe?

I an a very anxious person aonaorry for asking so many questions

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be but IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for asking your query. There is a possibility that you might be suffering from IBS, considering the description of your symptoms and personality but one very important point is that IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion. That means all pathological causes have to be ruled out before branding it as IBS. For this you require a thorough evaluation by a gastroenterologist and a colonoscopy.

Please feel free to clarify any other query.

Follow-up: Feeling like not emptying bowels and also smelly stools. Cure? 9 minutes later
Thanks doctor. Appreciate your time and advice.

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

You are most welcome. Please feel free to clarify any other query in the future.