Feeling like food is stuck in throat and having a lump at the bottom of neck. Underlying cause?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2015
Jun 2015

Question
I have a constant feeling like i have food stuck in the back of my throat. I also have a lump about the size of an small olive at the bottom of my neck - no pain just a lump. I occasionally experience swallowing problems that make me throw up.
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Kindly provide few details & attach a picture Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Thanks for your query. Regarding the symptoms as mentioned in your post, kindly let us know about the following: 1. Any episode of recent acute illness? 2. Any history of injury or trauma to the head and neck region? 3. Is there is significant past history of systemic disease like Diabetes, Hypertension, Thyroid disorder, etc. ? 4. Any recent history of Stress, improper nutrition & lack of sleep? 5. Habit of smoking or alcohol consumption? 6. Any other associated features like inability to concentrate or remember things, dizziness, visual disturbances, pain in abdomen, etc.? 7. History of prolonged intake of certain medications? If possible, kindly attach a picture of the lump in the neck. A knowledge of the above mentioned facts will be helpful in understanding your concern better & formulate an appropriate management plan. Hoping to hear from you soon. Wishing you a Good Health. Take care.

Follow-up: Feeling like food is stuck in throat and having a lump at the bottom of neck. Underlying cause? 1 hour later
1. No 2. No 3. None 4. Very busy but nothing new 5. Never smoked drink occasionally 6. No 7. No I take nothing The feeling like something is stuck is on the left side of my throat and started last Friday. The lump had been there for About a month. No pain you can't see it but it feels like a pit it's on the right side of my neck. I have had an issue occasionally maybe 12 times in the last 3 years where I begin to eat and then it feels like an air bubble and I throw up. It happened last Friday and again tonight. I throw up then I can continue to eat. The feeling like something is stuck is continual and new and the lump does not hurt. I Do not have a sore throat and I have not been sick. Thank you

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 31 hours later
Brief Answer: Kindly view the details Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for your follow up query. According to the case history as mentioned in your post, the symptoms can be attributed to the presence of a mass in the Pyriform fossa. Pyriform fossa is a small pouch like structure present on either side of the throat. And growth of any mass or dislodgement of food into the pouch can produce sensations of something stuck in the throat. It can be detected with the help of an endoscope & then subsequently managed. Your symptoms will be relieved with this. So, kindly consult an ENT Specialist for the same. Till then, you can take Tablet Pantoprazole & Domperidone twice daily (to be taken half an hour before food) maintain adequate hydration & good nutrition and avoid stress. There is no need to worry, you will be fine. Wishing you a Good Health. Take care.

Follow-up: Feeling like food is stuck in throat and having a lump at the bottom of neck. Underlying cause? 5 hours later
Thank you!

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thanks for your appreciation Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for your appreciation. Wishing you a Healthy Life. Take care.