Feeling light headed while bending the neck. Whom to consult on this?

when my husband bends his neck or looks down he becomes light-headed
Who do we go to, to look at this?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 3 hours later
Hi there.

Thank you for posting your question.

The reason why your husband gets light-headed when he bends his neck or looks down is because, in doing this, he may be kinking his carotid artery and partially reducing the blood supply to his brain.

There is no reason to be alarmed. I can answer your question in more detail if I knew the following:

(1) Does you husband smoke tobacco?
(2) What medications (if any) does your husband take?
(3) Is there a family history of arteriosclerosis -- heart disease or stroke.

If you can answer these questions I may be able to give you a better perspective on your husband's situation. But again, in the meantime, let there be no panic. This is postural hypotension and there will be an explanation.

I look forwards to hearing further from you. This is weekend so give me 24 hours to get back to you. Thank you.