Feeling gassy and nauseated with red particles in vomit. What am I suffering from?

General Surgeon
I feel gassy and nauseated almost all day. I'm starving but I feel full after a couple bites. I have random 'cold sweats' throughout the day.
I vomit bile/stomach acid most mornings, sometimes i see small droplets of dark red.
This has been an intermittent problem for about 18 months.

I've had an endoscopy, colonoscopy, and numerous blood tests. My blood tests led my doctors on a wild goose chase for about 6 months as my levels changed. There were theories that i had an overactive thyroid gland, stomach ulcer, stomach cancer, celiac disease.

The cancer has been ruled out by a biopsy during my colonoscopy.
I really just want to feel better and be able to enjoy eating food again. I've lost a about 15lbs since this started 18months ago. Male 25 years, no previous medical problems.

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 30 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 26 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

It would be easier to help you knowing the results of mentioned tests. What medicines you were and are at? You should also know that from this place it will be even harder to help you than regular doctor can. But lets try.
Do you associate your symptoms with any specific food? Is there a diet that keeps you away from this symptoms? Where is your pain located and does it radiate to the back for example? Do you drink coffee or milk in the morning?
The very next step after mentioned tests should be abdominal CT with oral contrast (so called enteroclysis). Before such test you should have your intestines cleared with laxatives and about 2 hours before CT oral contrast should be drunk.
This test gives an image of the small intestines which cannot be visualized with either upper GI endoscopy or colonoscopy. And your symptom may appear due to partial intestines obstruction which blocks stool passage and gives vomiting.
It is also possible that your symptoms are caused by severe intestines infection. Therefore if you havent try Rifaximine treatment, it can be helpful as well.
Stool tests for parasites and bacterial infection should be performed as well.

Hope this will help. I`m looking forward to hearing from you.
Follow-up: Feeling gassy and nauseated with red particles in vomit. What am I suffering from? 2 hours later
I'll try to find the most recent blood tests at home and will upload before my final follow up. Here is a link to the first tests I got. This was right after the worst i've ever felt. WWW.WWWW.WW
If it's illegible when i get home I'll rescan and upload w/ the latest tests. I know i had high calcium which is what they were concerned about.

The pain is a 'gnawing' pain that is at the top of my stomach I don't feel anything on my back. It feels like i'm starving but the thought of food makes me nauseated. It's infuriating.

I haven't taken any medicine other than some probiotics and antacids which didn't help that much. My doctors wanted to try to figure out what was going on through my blood tests before they prescribed anything.

I vomit in the morning before eating or drinking anything. Once i'm done i'll drink some milk. I dont drink coffee. The earlier i wake up the worse it seems to be..If i sleep in and lay in bed I can usually wait out the bad feelings and eat breakfast.

I've also noticed that my stools in the morning are kind of strange...My first poop is a solid XXXXXXX of awesomeness. 5 mins after that i'll have another much softer poop. And 5 mins after i'll have to go again and it looks like deer pellets or a soft pudding-like mass....just not quite diarrhea.

I've tried eating bland foods for a couple weeks (chicken/rice) without any substantial results. If i'm not in the middle of an episode i can eat whatever i want without repercussion. That being said, during an 'episode' even the smell of food makes my stomach upset and I start sweating. Certain 'acidy' type foods like tomatoes, orange juice, melted cheese, are worse than others. I can always eat bananas and milk which is my go to sustenance when i'm feeling terrible.

I will talk to my doctor about the abdominal CT with oral contrast. I'm planning on going back to my next couple weeks. Moneys and switching insurance have prevented me for about 8 months.

Thanks Again,

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 hours later

Vomiting in the morning before any food is rather not caused by diet or intestines infection. This sounds more like anxiety or stress related symptoms. Such symptoms can also appear due to pregnancy (you should have pregnancy test if the pregnancy is possible).
Same situation is with your morning stools. Such stools are often caused by IBS.
I suggest you to go for the CT. In a meanwhile you can ask your doctor for medicines: Mebeverine and antivomiting medicine like Metoclopramidum or Thiethylperazini. If this medicines will improve your symptoms, anxiety is possible.
Your calcium level is only a little above the range so it should not be a reason of your symptoms.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.