Feeling feverish and sick. Noticed widal test positive for S Typhi H. Prescribed ciproflaxin. WBC in blood report was 2.3. Normal?

Dear Doctor

i was feeling feverish and sick since last few days with body ache . my doctor advised a few tests , the widal test came +ve for S Typhi H antigen 1:40 , he has prescribed ciproflaxin 500mg twice a day for 5 days , as iam in a remote location at the moment i dont have access to good medical facilities , so my query is 5 days course enough or i should take the antibiotics for a longer period or continue and get a widal test again before stopping the medicine , also my WBC in blood report was 2.3 which is low , is this normal during an infection ? and my last query will getting a vaccine help prevent future infections and if yes pls advise the vaccines
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query. I am sorry that you came positive for S Typhi H antigen at 1:40. However, this is not a serious concerning issue clinically. The H antigen at 1:120 and above is only significant clinically.

Your doctor has prescribed you Ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice a day for 5 days. This is the correct and appropriate treatment for Typhoid.

Yes, a 5 days course is more than sufficient to cure the illness. There is no need to take it for longer time.

Also, you need not get a widal test repeated as this is minor infection and it will be cured on its own.

Yes, WBC count at 2.3 is normal in infection. This will return to normal too.

Drink plenty of water orally and rest well too.

Yes, you can take a vaccine to prevent future infections. The name of the vaccine is Typherix, used for intramuscular use as a single vaccine shot.

Hope this information helps you.

Get well soon.