Feeling faint and slipping away. Looked pale. Feeling nervous. What could this be?

hi my name is XXXXXXX .yesterday was my 42nd birthday and it started off ok...I had a mammo appointment in the mid afternoon then went out shopping and then came home to chill til hubby came home around 8:15 then we went out for a couple of home around 11 and less than an hour later I started to "feel funny and faint" like I was "slipping away" all I wanted to do was lie down...then I had to use the bathroom and hubby said I looked "quite pale" then I went back to bed head on my rt side was hurting..and this am was a bit like that too..took a couple of pills otc but I feel ok now..but I am nervous about last nite...what do u think is the problem?
Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Relax. Transient problem. Check sugar level, Hemoglobin & BP

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your question. I have gone through your query completely and do understand your concern.

Since it is only one episode and you are relieved now, you just need to relax. No need to be nervous.

I would in my practice like to rule out the following important causes for similar complaints.

1. Variation in glucose level. This may be hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia. Since yesterday was your birthday and you had strained yourself. This might have led to variation of glucose level. Variation may be transient or may be diabetes also. Hence I advice you to check your blood glucose level (Fasting and postprandial). If normal no need to worry for it.

2. Hypotension / Anemia. Both will lead to reduced oxygen supply to brain and can cause transient symptoms as explained by you. So get checked for your BP in sitting and standing positions and complete haemogram once to rule out anemia (since your husband also noticed pallor) or other cause.

3. Disturbed sleep. Since yesterday as told by you you were working and awake till 12pm. So this might have caused the symptoms. If the symptom is due to disturbed sleep then with sound sleep the symptoms will disappear.

So the problem is transient and will never recur if we treat the possible cause as explained. Have adequate regular sound sleep, required calories of food at right time and do regular outdoor exercises. These will help you.

Hope these explained and answered your query. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them..

Wish you good health.