Feeling extremely sensitive and irritated. Hormone blood test showed low progesterone levels. Any treatment?

Hi, I am 33 years old, mother of one daughter (5 years old). I am having issues controlling my emotions and feel that it might be a hormonal imbalance problem. I have had these issues when I was a teenager and started my menstrual cycles and mainly after my daughter's birth.
Earlier I was prone to these episodes a week before my periods, but now it is mid cycle. I have very regular periods.

During these episodes, I get extremely sensitive, feel unwanted and get very hurt by small incidents in life and blame and fight badly with my near and dear ones for small things they say or do, which I would ignore during other days. I am a very loving and caring person, but I hurt my dear ones during this time. I otherwise live a very happy and normal life.

I did my hormone Blood test done and have found that my Progesterone is very low. It was 0.20 ng/ml on the 3rd day of my periods and was 0.40 ng /ml on the 21st day. Estradiol on 3rd day was 27 pg/ml and on 21st day was 155 pg/ml.

How do I increase Progesterone, which natural supplements do you recommend and in what quantity? Are there any further tests required to identify the cause of the low Progesterone, so that the cause can be treated effectively for a long term solution ?
Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 4 hours later

Yes, all of your problems are probably due to low progesterone level.

There are few cause of low progesterone level in the body-high oestrogen level in the body (which is not applicable on you as you have normal oestrogen), insulin resistance, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), obesity, chronic stress, lack of exercise and poor nutrition, some drugs(some steroids and hormonal therapies, many oral contraceptives etc.).

Some laboratory investigations are needed to reach the diagnosis. They are- serum fasting and post prandial blood sugar, serum LH, FSH hormonal assay and USG pelvis.

About natural supplementation of progesterone-

1.     There are many natural remedies for low progesterone levels. You can take herbs that help in enhancing the levels of the hormone in the body. These include black cohosh, red raspberry and chasterberry. These herbs, however, have to be taken under supervision of a qualified herbalist as too much can cause undesirable effects on the body.

2.     Also, taking vitamin supplements like vitamins C, E and B6, and minerals like zinc and magnesium help in enhancing the levels of progesterone.

3.     Alternatively, a woman can resort to natural progesterone cream that is made from the extract of wild yam. This cream has to be applied topically and it gets absorbed into the body and enhances the levels of progesterone.

Consult your Gynaecologist, test to be done to reach the correct diagnosis and treatment should be taken based on his advice.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and write a review.

Wish you good health.

Dr Sourav Ganguly