Feeling dizzy, nausea, shaky and stomach ache. Have thyroid disease. Any ideas?

General Surgeon
I was recently in the emergency room 2 days ago and 3 weeks ago with these same symptoms. I very suddenly get extremely dizzy, nauseous, hot, with tremors and shaking and gastrointestinal pain that goes from my stomach (actually upper abdominal), to below my sternum. Right now it feels extremely tight throughout that region, like a squeezing pain and pain that radiates to my right shoulder. I have been told that it is somehow related to a stomach problem but have had no luck diagnosing what exactly. I have thyroid disease, and a history of GERD. i am on synthroid and take Zegrid OTC. Any ideas? I am having one of these episodes right now, which woke me up.
Posted Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later

Thank you for the query.

When such symptoms appear, the first thing that should be ruled out is heart attack. In some types of heart attack, it gives abdominal pain so it can pretend some abdominal diseases. Nausea and dizziness is a reaction for blood pressure drop. It is advisable for you to go to ER right now and have heart ECG and heart necrosis markers (CK-MB and troponine) performed.
If the heart disease is ruled out, such symptoms can be also caused by acute pancreatitis, gallstones, peptic ulcer or even pregnancy. To have it diagnosed abdominal ultrasound, full blood work with liver tests (AST,ALT,GGTP) and pancreas amylase, bilirubin, urine analysis and pregnancy test should be performed.
Thyroid tests should be performed as well.

Hope this will help.Feel free to ask further questions.

Follow-up: Feeling dizzy, nausea, shaky and stomach ache. Have thyroid disease. Any ideas? 4 hours later
Thank you so much for your response! I am wondering about gallstones. I definitely experience dizziness and pain when I eat. The "episodes" that I have been experiencing have involved vertigo, where I cannot see straight or walk without falling. It feels like the room is spinning. Could this possibly be related to gallstones in any way?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 16 minutes later

Well, there is no way for gallstones to cause vertigo. But heart disease can. Vertigo can be a symptom of insufficient blood distribution to the brain. It can happen when blood pressure falls down. Vertigo can be also a symptom of XXXXXXX ear disease or even brain disease. You can see your blood pressure during this symptoms appearance.
I suggest you to go for the heart check first. Gallstones are not life threatening and can be diagnosed easily. But the heart is much more important.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.