Feeling dizzy, high blood pressure and chest heaviness. Should I be worried?

My husband has spells where he gets dizzy, he feels faint, his blood pressure and pulse get high, his chest is heavy and I can see his beat in his neck. This happens when he does things like cutting grass. Is this something to worry about. he will not be seen.
Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

This sounds like ischemic heart disease which is decrease blood flow to the heart. In the early stages symptoms do not occur at rest but start when the person is active because this the time the heart has to work harder and therefore needs more blood.
Ischemic heart disease commonly occurs in persons who may have a history of hypertension,high cholesterol. It is also more common in diabetics, smokers, persons with excess weight, persons who are inactive.
Normally a persons with your husband's symptoms would be investigated with an ECG to assess the rhymth of the heart, it can also provide information on the size of the different parts of the heart and whether any area is experiencing reduced blood flow.
Depending on what the ECG shows an echo may be recommended.

Normal treatment entails: (1)control of any risk factors that may worsen the condition (control blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar, stop smoking if it is an issue- these conditions would be controlled by lifestyle changes and medication- you may want to check out the DASH diet [dietary approaches to stop hypertension].)
(2) physical activity to increase the strength of the heart- it may be best to be assessed first before starting any program or ask your doctor what exercise would be safe
(3) medication is given to be taken when the symptoms occur-these medications dilate the blood vessels to the heart to increase blood flow
(4) aspirin is normally prescribed

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions