Feeling dizzy, headaches and nauseous. On birth control lithium and Abilify. Suggest?

Neurologist, Surgical
I haven't been feeling myself lately, I feel dizzy sometimes during the day, I have been having more frequent headaches, felt nausea at times...I don't know what's going on...
on birthcontrol, Lithium, and Abilify. I think I got my period 2-3 weeks early, but it's very light.
Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
bipolar disorder

Detailed Answer:
Dear ma,am

I have gone through your medical history in detail. Accordingly I see that you are already taking medication for bipolar disorder & birth control.

Both these medications at times can cause dizziness as experienced by you. That's quite common. Headache and nausea may also be related.

In this circumstances, I propose the following steps of action:

1. Please check with your treating doctor if the symptoms are troubling you. The doctor can accordingly make changes with your medicines.

2 . Take some analgesics / antiemetics for headache/nausea. I suggest medicines similar to tylenol pain relief along with domperidone twice daily to my patients. You can check with your pharmacist.

3. If change in medicines and symptomatic drugs does not relieve the symptoms, get your MRI BRAIN scan done. You might also need to test your fasting blood sugar and thyroid function tests.

4. Lastly do some destressing exercises/meditation.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

deptt. of neurosurgery