Feeling dizzy and having pain in head. What should I do?

Sep 2012

My head is hurting and I feel dizzy and as if Im about to throw up, why is this happening and what should I do?
Posted Sat, 24 Nov 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later
Thank you for asking a question.
Firstly , the condition you mentioned indicates an acute attack of migraine. In this condition this one side or whole of the head hurts. Throwing up is a common symptom.
But these symptoms may also be seen in other conditions like tension headache, gastritis, indigestion, refraction errors rarely, trauma, etc. These conditions are differentiated by a thorough clinical examination.
But, considering your age, and other history, migraine headache is the most possible diagnosis.
So, consult with your physician for a thorough clinical check up and confirmation of the diagnosis.

You should do the followings -
1. Take complete bed rest.
2. Take paracetamol (500mg) for the pain. You can take it up to 3 tablets a day. Take it after food.
3. Take prochlorperazine (5mg) group of drugs for feeling of throwing up.
4. Take a pantoprazole group (40 mg) of drug before food once a day.
5. If the abovementioned treatment does not give you any relief then consult with your physician for prescribing a sedative like diazepam.
6. After getting back to normal, consult with a neurologist for treatment with maintenance of cyproheptadine group of drugs and for further management.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you have any more question.