Feeling discomfort under rib cage after eating. Is it due to food allergy?

Hello, I have a feeling of discomfort under my left rib cage which goes around to the back and underneath my shoulder blade after eating. I also have a sore tongue which is red down the centre and feels like a burning sensation and also around my lips. Could this be a food allergy of some type and do you think the two symptoms are related. I have also lost weight even though my appetite is as good as its always been? Thank you, XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Gastritis and Glositis. Detailed Answer: Hello, I my opinion the stomach and tongue symptoms may be interrelated. The probable cause may be Gastritis(Inflammation of the stomach) which causes regurgitation of the stomach acid which causes Glositis(Inflammation of the tongue). In this condition I would advice to take anti acid to neutralize the stomach acid which help in reducing the pain under the rib and redness of the tongue. Continue the vitamins. A gastroscopy will help in diagnosing the condition. If the diagnosis is confirmed as gastritis then proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole should be taken. Spicy and greasy food should be avoided. Weight loss is due to malabsorption of nutrients from the stomach and intestine due to inflammation. Continue multi vitamin supplement to XXXXXXX the requirement of micro nutrients. Hope the answer helps you. Let me know if there is any clarification. Regards.