Feeling discomfort in anus and burning sensation while passing bowels. Any effective medicine?

Hi ,

When I was a child I used to have pinworms which would force me to scratch and poke my anus especially at nights due to the intense discomfort inside . After taking some medicines and regular consumption of garlic juice in 2 years time it was gone completely .Problem is that after so many years it seems to have come back again . At nights I get an intense tickling discomfort somewhere inside my anus and I end up losing sleep ,and also I scratch my anus a lot on the outside as well as bit inside because it seems to give some temporary relief from the tickling . As a side-effect my anus area swells up and gives a burning sensation while passing bowels .
It is very embarassing to go to a Physician now as I am quite an adult to have pinworms .
How can I solve the problem ? Is there any tablet that I should take . Please suggest .
Posted Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 17 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and i am pleased to answer your query.

1. Pinworm infestation can occur even in adults
2. Not all cases of itching in the anal region are due to pinworms. There are many other causes for itching in the anal region.

Some of the causes of itching in the anal region other than pinworm infestation include-piles, fissure, fungal infection, diabetes, certain diet ( like coffee, chocolate, beer). Most often coffee is the main culprit. So stop drinking coffee to see if there is any relief.
Sometimes no cause could be found.

Repeated washing/scratching/cleaning the anal region would actually worsen the problem.
Clean that area gently with wet facial tissue.
The underlying cause should be treated. Get examined by a doctor to find the cause.
I am available for consultation at Velammal Hospitals, Mugappair.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini