Feeling discomfort and burning sensation in abdomen. Feeling constipated. Am I having GERD?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
For the past four days I have felt sick -not nauseous- just a sick feeling and discomfort in my abdoman. I also feel a burning pain that is relieved a while after I eat. It comes back in a while. I have felt like a have a virus, but have no vomiting or loose bowels. In fact, I am comstipated. I had a stomach bypass surgery 12 years ago and I have had a chronic problem with a tight spincter muscle in my esophogus. It has been dialated several times a few years ago. I sure wish this would go away. It's kind of like having constant gerd.
Posted Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 45 minutes later
Based on your symptoms, I think you might be suffering from Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). In this condition stomach contents (food or liquid) leak backwards from the stomach into the esophagus (the tube from the mouth to the stomach) causing irritation of the esophagus,nausea, heart burn, watery feeling in the mouth and other symptoms.

You will need proton pump inhibitors for a week or two. Omeprazole is usually available over the counter and can be taken once a day before breakfast. Check with your pharmacist about its availability.
You can also start taking an antacid like Tums after every meal to relieve the symptoms.
In addition, you also need some strict life style modification like-
Avoid hot and spicy foods and beverages - they worsen symptoms.
If you smoke, stop smoking.
Lose weight if needed.
Eat small but frequent meals at regular intervals.
Avoid lying down immediately after a meal. A minimum of 2-3 hours should be lapsed after a meal.
Raise the head of your bed 6 to 8 inches by securing wood blocks under the bedposts. Just using extra pillows will not help.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.