Feeling discomfort above the rib cage after child birth, no pain. What are the reasons?

Hi, after I gave birth to my daughter, it felt as if something was out of place on my right side right above my rib cage. It was not painful but felt a bit weird. Over the course of 20 years the feeling that something was out of place came and went. However, over the last 6 months or so it has become worse. It is not painful to touch but feels uncomfortable. I especially feel it when I lay a certain way or bend. I have mentioned this to doctors in the past but no real steps have been taken to see what the problem is. What do you suggest? Thanks in advance.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 6 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. Based on your symptoms, I have 2 possibilities in mind which need to be ruled out. These are:

1)     The first possibility is of costochondritis which is an inflammation of the joints in your chest. There is no specific test or investigation for costochondritis. The diagnosis can only be reached after excluding more serious causes of chest pain that are related to the heart and lungs.

It is completely curable and treatment involves conservative local care with careful use of non steroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen or naproxen. Application of warm compresses may also help. If there is no relief even with medications, then steroid injections may be needed.

2)     Second possibility is of esophageal spasm which causes non cardiac chest pain. Manometry studies and an upper GI (Gastro Intestinal) endoscopy can confirm the diagnosis.
It will also help me in understanding your condition better if you could let me know if you have any additional history and symptoms of nausea, heart burns or difficulty in swallowing.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.