Feeling bloated, reflux problem comes to throat and feel pain. Endoscopy done. Taking omeprazole. Any ideas?

i am 44year old since many years i have problem below
1) emptyof stomach is very slow
2)bloating of stomach
3) reflux problem comes to troat and feel pain
I have done last week endoscoy everything is ok
Taking omaerplazole in morning
Posted Wed, 1 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

Your symptoms are suggestive of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease.
It is a condition where in the lower esophageal sphincter ( muscle at lower end of food pipe) is usually lax and it leads to reflux of the stomach contents especially acid into the lower esophagus ( food pipe) and sometimes to throat.

Following would help you in relieving your symptoms.
1. Avoid large meals. Take small volume of meals.
2. Avoid raw onions, garlic, pepper, tea, coffee, alcohol, smoking, cold drinks. All of them relax the lower esophageal sphincter and aggravate reflux symptoms.
3. Walk for 2 - 3 km and do not immediately lie down.
4. Wait for atleast 2-3 hours after dinner before you lie down.

You are taking omeprazole which reduces the stomach acid. You will need to add an additional medicine which would facilitate the stomach emptying. Mozapride or Itopride are specifically indicated for such situations as you have. This is a prescription drug and you would need to see a physician for that.

Try the above recommendation. I am sure you will see a change.

Do get back if you need any further information.

Dr Kiran
Follow-up: Feeling bloated, reflux problem comes to throat and feel pain. Endoscopy done. Taking omeprazole. Any ideas? 15 hours later
Bloating of stomach when eat my stomach become very big
Also when i am in stress i eat very much even i dont know how much i am eating what to do for these
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 3 hours later

A prokinetic i.e. mozapride or itopride would help you with the bloating of stomach after meals.

Regarding your food intake during stress, i must honestly admit that you have to try and control. We can give medicines for stress but there is no drug to control the eating.

I request you to be positive and try and take control of the situation when you are stressed.

Wish you good health.

Warm regards,

Dr Kiran