Feeling bloated and constipated. Noticed dark stool. What is the problem?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I have been quite bloated for a few months now and have been constantly constipated. since 2 weeks ago I noticed dark/black stools. I understand that could very well have been caused by internal bleeding in the upper GI tract. I did not experience any abdominal pain and don't have any stomach ulcers that I know of. There hasn't been any significant trauma to my abdomen/abdominal cavity and I am not taking any iron supplements or anything that could have made my stool black. I am a 21 yrs old female with no history of stomach or intestinal/bowel cancer. Thanks.
Posted Fri, 26 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 28 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Your understanding of your symptoms is amazing

To come to a conclusive diagnosis you should undergo an upper GI endoscopy

Apart from the conditions you have mentioned we need to rule out collitis as there is bloating and constipation

Take plenty of fluids orally,Lot of fiber and add a probiotic to your treatment for two weeks or so

Get a stool examination done to rule out any presence of occult blood

Hope this helps
Wishing you a healthy life ahead
Follow-up: Feeling bloated and constipated. Noticed dark stool. What is the problem? 5 minutes later
Thank you, I will get an endoscopy done as soon as possible. But I was just wondering, what are the chances of a 21 year old getting stomach cancer? And if the symptoms go away,would it mean that there is nothing else to be worried about ?
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 15 minutes later

Thanks for writing in again

Yes do go for endoscopy just to reassure yourself and relieve the anxiety

Chances of getting stomach cancer are very remote at this age, instead an impression of gastritis would be more appropriate even if the symptoms are not very prominent

Again yes you may just forget if it goes away and get investigated if it appears again

Hope this helps
Get back to me in case of doubts
Wishing you a healthy life