Feeling a mild pain in ear after using headphones. Worrisome

Emergency Medicine Specialist
i had brought new headphones about a month ago. may be due to over use of them i m feeling a mild pain in my right ear.
any suggessions or cumments on it plz.
Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sujjalaxmi Bharali 4 hours later

Are you constantly using the headphone for long hours? Also is it that you are used to hearing it very loud ?
Well if it is so, then I presume your problems could be because of over use.

Here's what you can do:
a. First stop using it for a few days , lets say a period of 3 weeks to one month.
b. Also do not use constantly for more than 15 to 20 minutes and preferably at a low volume.
c. Avoid high frequency areas like pubs and traffic noise.
d. Sleep well for 7-8 hours a day

The main issue is that with chronic noise trauma, you also run the risk of sensori-neural hearing loss (permanently losing your hearing) in the long run.

However keep a track of the following symptoms and see an ENT specialist if these symptoms arise:
If you find impairment of hearing or tinnitus( which is hearing different types of sounds such as whistling, buzzing etc. in the ear)
If you get nausea with a sense of spinning , rotation or sense of falling on sudden change of position. It suggests impairment of vestibular apparatus of ear which is a pathology of the inner ear.
Whether you get severe earache along with ear discharge . It points towards a concurrent underlying ear infection .

The symptomatic measures mentioned above should be able to provide relief. Meanwhile, at any point of time, if you find sudden aggravation of symptoms then do get in touch with an ENT specialist and get a proper examination of the ear done.
I suppose I have answered your problem in detail. If you have any further queries, I shall be happy to help.

Follow-up: Feeling a mild pain in ear after using headphones. Worrisome 7 hours later
yup i have been listing to the music continuously for long time on high volume.
i had some pain in my ears. and i contacted uh the same day. is this really serious or the problem can just be solved by stopping to the exposure to the sound
Answered by Dr. Sujjalaxmi Bharali 8 hours later

Yes, in your case it is because of continuous exposure to loud music. Do not worry, it can be solved by the simple advises I have mentioned earlier. Most important of which is to stop the noise trauma.

The rest of the warning signs of hearing impairment, tinnitus and spinning are long standing side effects, which you do not have to bother at present.

Have a nice day.