Feeble pulse beat,quiet blood pressure

My doctor says my blood pressure is hard to read because it is "quiet". Why is it quiest? is that bad or good?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 minutes later
Having a quiet blood pressure means that the pulse beat that is heard on stethoscope is very feeble and sometimes hard to detect.
If the blood pressure in such a person is not monitored carefully, it can make you record a false higher reading specially of the diastolic blood pressure.
There is no specific cause of this as it is not a problem. It is just a normal physiological variation. The electronic blood pressure instruments can tell you the correct reading as its sensors are better and this reading can be cross checked manually to know your correct blood pressure readings.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Feeble pulse beat,quiet blood pressure 1 hour later
I bought a blood pressure cuff, Omron, but I keep getting an error, that it can't detect the pressure wave. Is there a better one? Should I get a manual cuff and learn to do it myself? I have high BP even though I'm taking meds, and I'm worried about it.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Regarding the blood pressure monitoring machine, the arm cuff is more accurate as compared to the wrist cuff. May be something is wrong with your machine's sensors.

Even if you learn to measure blood pressure yourself it is difficult to measure one's own B. P.

For self monitoring, electronic instruments are always preferred.

You can also get it checked manually every week by a doctor or nurse which would be the best.