Fatigue, body pain, excessive sleepiness. CBC done. Positive ASO titre in report. Suggestion?

Hi Doctor, I feel so tiredness, body pain, excessive sleepiness, so i go for cbc test, in test i got aso titre Positive (300 ul/mg), i have a aso titre is related to the above symptoms, if yes, pls advice what i want to go for the next step
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 50 minutes later

I understand your health concern.

Your symptoms of tiredness, body pain and excessive sleepiness may be related to the positive ASO (Anti-streptolysin O) titre of 300 ul/mg.

Even then, your ASO titre is not very high. A raised or rising levels of ASO titre can indicate past or present infection. This titre (value) has a significance only if it is greatly raised, or if a rise in titre can be demonstrated in paired blood samples taken days apart.

It seems to be raised due to a recent history of sorethroat with streptococci bacteria ( if you had one recently in past 2 to 3 weeks). It is not a major thing to be worried about. However, Your next step would be to repeat the test for ASO titre after about 2 weeks time.

A course of antibiotic will help you too. Please get your throat examined by a Physician and get prescribed the relevant antibiotic.

You should be fine very soon.

I will be available for your follow up queries, if any.

Follow-up: Fatigue, body pain, excessive sleepiness. CBC done. Positive ASO titre in report. Suggestion? 3 hours later
Thanks for your valuable advice, but i have a pain on joints, low back, on the hands joins also, so shall u confirm it is due to ASO TITRE only. if yes i want to check which specialist related to this problem, pls advice.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 59 minutes later
Hello again XXXXXXX

Pain in the joints, low back, small joints of the hands along with a positive ASO titre is most probably suggestive of Rheumatism and Rheumatoid arthritis (RA).

It seems to be in an initial and mild stage. I would suggest you to get your serum RA (Rheumatoid) factor done to rule out the disease. However, RA is a clinical diagnosis and not based on laboratory findings.

I would suggest you to see a Rheumatologist for this.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wish you good health.