Fasting blood sugar 100, panic caused spike in level, low HDL, not pre-diabetic

My fasting glucose tested 100. 30 minutes before my blood was drawn, I found out my landlord locked me out of my office with no warning, she was on vacation and couldnt be reached. No one had spare keys so I was at a loss and was panicking. My rent was paid and everything was in order. Later I found out it was a contractor mistake and a HUGE misunderstanding. Would this temporary panic situation casue my glucose to spike? My cholesteral total was 154, HDL 47, LDL 97, Tri's 51. Also I just started depo provera 6 months ago. Could this cause my HDL to drop and my sugar to increase. Am I really pre diabetic? I am 44, I eat healthy weigh 160 and lost 25 lbs over the last 4 months and plan on losing until I reach my goal of 140.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 10 hours later

Thanks for your query. I have read through the details.

I am happy to see your result here. They are at the recommended range.

To deliver the facts here:

Yes, its very common fact that panic do alter blood glucose levels. This is to produce effective reaction to the panic which will need higher energy levels and this is acheived by increasing the blood glucose levels. Hormones like epinephrine and cortisol mediate this phenomenon.

Also I would say Yes, that Depo provera (Depot medroxyprogesterone acetate) can reduce the HDL levels, as its high dose progestron only medication. Hence creating appearant deficiency of estrogen which is the cause for low HDL, but your reading are good.

Your Fasting Blood Sugar is not worrying me, if it continue to worry you, please repeat it. One lab test for FBS should not label as 'Pre Diabetic'.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.