Fair complexion, have darker lips. Is there any way to regain natural pink color?

Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon
Hi.. I have fair complexion. But my lips colour is turned to black shade since 2-3 yrs. Is there any way to regain the natural pink colour of my lips?
Posted Thu, 6 Jun 2013 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Mayank Singh 2 hours later
thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX
Lip darkening can occur due to Several reasons.
Commonest causes are smoking ,excess alcohol narcotics usage, using excess of lip cosmetics, dehydration,excess sun exposure,anemia ,jaundice, intake of some medicines over chronic period.I hope your above causes are ruled out. If not you need to do that primarily .
What I'll recommend is that you visit doctor for identifying the reason.
Usually the lip pigmentation or darkening can b reversed by following steps
a) stopping smoking or other etiological factors
b) avoid direct Sun on lips or use lip balms with spf more than 15
c) keep yourself well hydrated
d) if blood reports suggest anemia or jaundice get treatment for same
e)stop any chronic medicines or tea coffee intake
If the above don't help you , then you may go in for a q switched laser removal of pigmentation which usually requires 3 to 4 sittings some 6 weeks apart. This should definitely help you.I hope I have been able to guide you. If you have any more doubts feel free to post your query again
God bless
Dr Mayank Singh
Consultant plastic, cosmetic & hair transplant surgeon
Radiance Cosmedic centre, New Delhi
Follow-up: Fair complexion, have darker lips. Is there any way to regain natural pink color? 15 hours later
I do use lip cosmetics every day. Does that mean to stop lip cosmetics?
Answered by Dr. Mayank Singh 56 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query again on XXXXXXX
Lip cosmetics may aggravate the condition so if possible only use the lip gloss or balms with SPF more than 15 , and if possible use only transparent or translucent ones.Also try to follow the avoiding of the stuff I mentioned in my previous post .You should see some significant difference in few weeks .If you are not benefited by the above then consult a dermatologist or cosmetic laser surgeon ( plastic surgeon ) for the same , as they would advise accordingly , seeing you in person.I hope I have been able to help you in some way .If you wish to post any further queries feel free to post here or mail me at YYYY@YYYY you are satisfied with my answers kindly accept it on the XXXXXXX website .
God Bless
Dr Mayank Singh MS,MCh Plastic surgery
Consultant Plastic , Cosmetic & Hair transplant surgeon
Radiance Cosmedic Centre ,New Delhi