Failed a colour blind test, unable to see the numbers while standing. Reason?

Poor

Ophthalmologist
Question
my son passed a color blindness 1 yr ago for a job and yesterday they retested him and he failed it. he could not read the numbers that are inside the circle with red and XXXXXXX colors. His vision tested 20/20. He could not see the numbers while standing and looking at the page but if he sat down and looked at it sideways he could see the numbers.
Posted Wed, 11 Jul 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 7 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

The test which you are referring to is called Ishihara colour plates.It is not a very accurate test for colour blindness. These plates are also available for testing on the internet. You may ask your son to recheck his colour vision on the internet.

If he fails to identify the numbers, then he is colour blind. If you really want to confirm then you should consult an ophthalmologist who will perform further tests and will give you an accurate answer.

Hope I have answered your query . I will be available for any further queries, if any.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah

Follow-up: Failed a colour blind test, unable to see the numbers while standing. Reason? 20 hours later
But he could see the numbers in the circles a year ago and now he cannot. What other tests will be run and is this a serious problem? But when he is outside or reading or doing anything he has absolutely no problem seeing the colors perfect. Since he failed the test he has been testing himself outside and inside over and over and has no problem whatsoever. Can you become color blind in less than a year and nothing be wroing with you?

Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 13 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back.

Colour blindness is an inherited condition. If it is present, it is there since birth and will be there for life. There is no treatment for colour blindness. Hence it is necessary to confirm it from an ophthalmologist.

Colour blind people lead normal lives; many of them won't know they are colour blind until they get themselves tested. So I strongly recommend that he consult an ophthalmologist and get this checked. The initial test will be similar to the ones performed earlier.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for further queries if you have any.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah