Facing lower abdominal discomfort, rectal pain and walking difficulty. Can I try stool softner?

General Surgeon
I have been experiencing lower abdominal discomfort for several days. I am not constipated and don't seem to be "gassy". Sometimes hurts my rectal area when I sit, also a little painful like mentrual cramps but lower. Too uncomfortable to walk on treadmeal - not a sharp pain. Feels kind of like a "full" feeling. Should I try a gentle stool softener? I have had bm's every day but wonder it I have some kind of blockage. Not sure what step to take next. This has never happened to me before.
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 33 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

This can be just a constipation. That is why you can try stool softener. You should also drink more mineral water and increase fiber XXXXXXX products.
If you wont feel any better after such treatment, other possible condition should be considered. Lower abdominal pain can be caused by diverticulitis or other large intestine disease (like polyp or even a cancer).
With urinary tract infection you should also have frequent urinating and burning while urinating.
Diverticulitis gives pain more in the left lower abdomen.
Fluoxetine and Atenolol can be also a reason of constipation.
Please push your abdomen gently in the area where the pain is located and rapidly release the hand. If the pain aggravates, the inflammation process has involved peritoneum. In such case, doctor visit is necessary.
As your colonoscopy has been performed long time ago and you are older than 50, every episode of such symptoms especially when not going away should be checked with colonoscopy.
So in conclusion, you can take stool softener, drink mineral water and fiber XXXXXXX products. If it wont give any relief in a day, or the symptoms will get worse, you should visit your doctor.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Facing lower abdominal discomfort, rectal pain and walking difficulty. Can I try stool softner? 1 minute later
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
You are welcome.