Eyes and upper cheeks feel hot. Is this a symptom of diabetes ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon

I am currently being checked for diabetes, i have no symptoms that i am aware of, but members on both sides of my family have recently been diagnosed, so i thought i should get checked. I stress about medical issues way too much. I am 21. My question is, at the moment, my eyes and upper cheeks feel really hot, i don't think i have a temperature, it is hard to tell, it is on and off. I am hoping this isn't a serious problem. I browsed the net (which i shouldn't, makes me stress more) and some suggested it could be blood pressure (which could perhaps be caused by my anxiety). I use a computer a majority of my time, but have never had this really happen. It briefly happened to me a long while ago, but went away rather quick. Is this a symptom of diabetes? I have a sugary drink (53.4grams) in the morning, and it generally happens after that, though correlation does not imply causation, it could be many other things. This is pretty much the only sugar i consume per day as well, in any real amount, other than the low amounts of sugar i consume. I have no other symptoms of diabetes that i am aware of.

To summarize, face feeling hot, particularly eyes and upper cheek, but no noticeable temperature, and there is no flushing.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Your smptoms are not suggestive of diabetes.
Feeling a hot flushing sensation in the face is most likely to be due to an autonomic disturbance. It is not likely to be related to the sugar content of the drink you have in the morning.
You can rule out the diabtes by getting fasting and post prandial blood glucose levels checked after consulting your primary physician.
The autonomic disturbace gets precipitated by stress and nxiety.
You can avoid ceratin food stuffs like- caffeine, hot drinks, chocolate, spicy or hot foods and alcohol to decrease the symptoms.
I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal
Follow-up: Eyes and upper cheeks feel hot. Is this a symptom of diabetes ? 26 hours later

Thank you for putting my mind at ease, I am really stressed out about being checked for diabetes, which leads to a follow up question i have. Diabetes is on both sides of my family, though all of them had gotten it later in life (im 21) and i am being checked just in case. I don't have any symptoms that i know of, i think i drink more than other people (2-3 liters a day on average), im 200cm tall, 10kg over target weight, and eat an alright diet, though previously i had an atrocious diet and was really overweight (i have been checked for diabetes after my change in lifestyle and was ok). Do you think i have anything to worry about? It's stressing me out like mad. I have cold feet and hands, but i have been checked when that occurred and had no diabetes. I urinate frequently, but only when i drink a lot of caffeine (which i have quit altogether, and i urinate about 4 times a day now).

I feel like i don't have much to worry about, but it still stresses me out so much, which is why your explanation makes sense to me, as it definitely seems to occur when i'm stressing (or at least, it is noticeable then)

To summarise, given the above information, do you think i have anything to worry about with the blood test i am having in regards to diabetes. I know this isn't really a sensible question, but hopefully you have information that could put this in perspective and hopefully stop my stress.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 59 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
In my opinion you are taking good care of yourself and are conscious about your health. At your age, the possibility of having a diabetes is very low. So please do not worry as none of your symptoms are suggestive of the disease.
Adding a moderate exercise regimen to your daily routine will be helpful in keeping all these lifestyle diseases at bay.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Eyes and upper cheeks feel hot. Is this a symptom of diabetes ? 12 minutes later

thank you so much for that, it really helps. I stress out big time about these things. I do currently lift weights (started a month ago). Trying to lose the last 10 kilos, and replace it with muscle, which is working amazingly well.

I've already noticed a pretty big change in the hot feeling, it is very minimal now, and it seems to function similar to the chest pains that i used to get when i had chronic anxiety problems, so i definitely think it is associated with the stressing happening over this blood test.

Thank you so much for your help :)
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 26 minutes later
You are most welcome.
Best wishes for a healthy trouble free life.