Eye automatically gets closed while thinking. Is this neurological issue?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013
Good

Neurologist
Question
My mom is 53 yr old. Right from her childhood, when she thinks her left eye closes automatically.. During such occasion, she seems to feel pain on left cheek and other portions. Due to fearful thinking, at times it almost closes that her left eye is very very slightly open. She says her mom too, has this.

Is this neurological issue? What will happen if left unattended? What measures are to be taken? What other implications this shall have?
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.
Her condition is a neurological problem- referred to as blepharospasm and hemifacial spasm.
This is related to the facial nerve and facial muscles. It is not a serious illness and can be well treated.
The best treatment for this condition is botox injections.
For diagnosis and treatment, please consult a neurologist.
I hope it helps. Please get back, if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: Eye automatically gets closed while thinking. Is this neurological issue? 17 minutes later
What're all the symptoms and after-effect of it? Her left eye becomes half of or lesser than right eye, when she thinks. Would mental relaxation help?

Is it due to sleep deprivation too?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 19 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.
The exact cause of blepharospasm and hemifacial spasm is not known. However, it is presumed to be due to hyperexcitability of the facial nerve, that arises from the brain.
Mental relaxation and good sleep would help, but may not completely cure her.
However, botox therapy may give her good relief.
This condition is not serious and has no serious implications.
Please get back if you have more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Eye automatically gets closed while thinking. Is this neurological issue? 4 minutes later
So, you mean to leave it unattended: with just some meditation and good sleep, on priority. Am I right?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 10 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.

It all depends on her symptoms.
If meditation and sleep help her to become symptom-free, then she need not consult a neurologist.

However, if symptoms persist, and she is still troubled, a consultation with neurologist for the botox injections would be useful.

I would be pleased to answer, if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)