Eye and face swollen after taking shrubbery in yard. Took cortisone and Benadryl. Suggestions?

ENT Specialist
My friend took out shrubbery in my yard and has contacted what looks like poison ivy and it is spreading. Eye and face swollen on arms spreadingbtomgroin area. Neck in particular very bad. I gave him a cortisone cremenhe was using tecun that druggist recommended. Gave him Benadryl last nite. What donu recommend?
Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for posting the query

It seems your friend has developed anaphyatic reaction to the the herb.

I would recommend him to rush to emergency department and get appropriate medications. Cortisone cream and benadryl alone will not suffice in reducing the allergic symptoms.

Your friend would require intravenous medications such as steroids and antihistaminic to reduce the allergic reaction. Do not delay! This can intensify and the neck swelling may cause breathing difficulty.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be avaiable for the follow-up queries. I wish him speedy recovery.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon