Extremely red cheeks and exhausted after outdoor visit. Can fatigue and energy be treated differently?

Hi! My 4 year old son gets extremely red cheeks, flushed and just looks exhausted from mild outdoor t-ball games especially in comparison to others his age. He also gets tired easily, is heavy & muscular, and is a poor runner. I have not had him involved in team sports up until now so when I saw the difference between him and his peers on the team as well as all of the other teams, I was shocked!! I work in early childhood as a behavior specialist and did notice in the past that he wasn't swinging his arms properly while walking but my pediatrician blew me off as usual. He is heavy/chubby and very muscular since the day he was born. His grandfather has the same build. He is square like a lumberjack or powerlifter. I have hashimotos thyroiditis and had gestational diabetes while pregnant with him. Also, he shows very poor sports endurance during indoor activities but he does improve in balabce exercises quickly. His fine motor coordination is also fairly poor and he complains of fatigue completing activities. He plays energetically with his sister in short bursts of time, and is very verbally intelligent with a great sense of humor.
Posted Tue, 12 Jun 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Baheti 34 hours later

From your description it seems that he has "very poor exercise tolerance".

A number of conditions are needed to be ruled out. In this context, I suggest you to get his blood counts and thyroid evaluation done to rule out low hemoglobin (anemia) and thyroid disorder respectively. Your local doctor can help you in getting the tests.

I would also like to know if he complains of exertion cramps or cola colored urine after exertion?

If so then he also needs to be evaluated by a competent neurologist to rule out muscle disorder.

If all the evaluations are normal, then you need not be concerned. Just start a gradual endurance exercises in consultation with you physiotherapist.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more queries.

Best wishes