Ask a Dentist   »  

Extracted wisdom tooth. Have pain, burning sensation and bitter taste. Have applied stitches, area is red. Suggest?

After my dentist extracted my wisdom teeth it took a long time the GAP filled but a growing pain resulted and i am
Still suffering and from that location i also feel a burning sensation and bitter taste . My dental surgeon decided to
apply 2 or 3 stiches in order to help recovery. He took the stiches 6 days ago but a medium to severe pain still there
and area is slightly reddish.
what kind of procedure you recommend Please help me
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 21 minutes later

I will be glad to answer your query,

I would like to inform you that sometimes following wisdom tooth extraction, small pieces of bone are left behind which sometimes result in pain, or when the tooth extraction is complicated, tissues take time to heal.

In either of the two conditions, your dentist will have to examine the extraction site to check for sharp bony spicules and healing tissue.

It is nothing to worry about, as the dentist will prescribe you an oral gel to be applied on the extraction site to promote healing .

If the bony spicules are the cause of pain then a small appointment might be needed to file down the bone or if needed removal of the bone pieces, its a very short painless procedure, healing is quick.

Until you see the dentist I will recommend you to perform warm saline rinses(5-6 times/day), this is help resolve pain and swelling if present.

Also, you can take a painkiller every 6-8 hrs, after meals.
Kindly see your dentist soon.

If you have any further queries, feel free to write back,
I hope this answer was useful,
I wish you good health,