Exposed to fumes and coughing up phlegm. Am I having a respiratory tract infection?

I work with welding on galvinized steel and I was over exposed to fumes and I'm I've been coughing up phelm for about a month could I have a respiratory tract infection or something else?and can I give a respiratory infection to a new born baby?
Posted Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear sir , Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that there exists a possibilty that you could be suffering from respiratory tract infection but certain tests need to be done for its determination . A complete blood count , Sputum c/s , CXR PA , will be required. You need to consult a pulmonologist for the same as auscultation of chest is required for the diagnosis . Sometimes when the infection is bacterial it can be transmitted through droplets so avoiding close contact with the new born is suggestible . Take care. Dr. Shruti