Exposed to Syphilis. Penicillin VK recommended?

I have been exposed to someone with syphilis and I am worried. I will not be able to see a doctor until next week and do not want to wait around and see what happens. I have penicillin VK, can I take that?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 19 minutes later

First of all I would like to tell you "Self Medications Is Dangerous"

Especially with penicillin you need to be extra-careful as it has high percentage of Hypersensitivity in the general population.

I suggest that you wait until you XXXXXXX a doctor and then follow his advice about taking penicillin. As syphilis is a curable condition one week delay in treatment will not cause any significant problem.

So, its better for you to wait for one week rather than to administer penicillin by yourself.

I hope my answer has been adequate and informative. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.