Exposed to HIV risk, HIV negative with Tri-Dot test. Need to retest as it takes long time for antibody to be detectable?

Pulmonologist
Question
my query is about hiv infection : i was subjected to some risk of hiv exposure on XXXXXXX 20,2011 ...tested negative on Dec 20,2011 by TriDOt test ..do i have to test again to be sure ..because lot of websites report longer than 6 months time for antibody to be detectable ...is this true ..hw can i be sure ..i am very much worried??
age: 28
weight :63kg
height :173cm
medical history : no major illness
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later

Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX

I would like to comment the following regarding your query:

1. After the episode of exposure, immediately a baseline ELISA test for HIV antibodies is recommended to exclude an already existing HIV infection.

2.A follow-up ELISA for antibodies against HIV should be performed at 4 to 6 weeks, 3 months, and 6 months after exposure.

3. Depending on the type of exposure, post exposure prophylaxis may be taken under medical supervision.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB

Follow-up: Exposed to HIV risk, HIV negative with Tri-Dot test. Need to retest as it takes long time for antibody to be detectable? 40 minutes later
sir, is the negative result at eaxctly 6 months after exposure not sufficient to rule out an hiv infection ..

is it possible to become positive after 6 months of exposure if I had no earlier or afterwards exposure than the one I have mentioned ?

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 38 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thanks for the follow up.
The period of negative result in spite of hiv infection due to non detection of antibodies is called the window period.The vast majority of people (97%) have detectable antibodies by three months after HIV infection; a six-month window is extremely rare.

Thus it is extremely rare to become positive after 6 months from the history of exposure.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB