Experiencing tingling sensation, pain and weakness on hand, shoulder and neck. Underlying cause?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My name is XXXXXXX and I'm a 29 year old male with tingling, pain, and weakness in my left hand, shoulder, and neck. I often experience the neck and shoulder pain first and as a result my hand and forearm tingles and become weak. This has been on going for almost two years now. Recently I've experienced pain in my chest on the left side when I breathe. More so when I inhale. The pain is a sharp pain that often radiate to my left shoulder blade. I've recently had a cardio cat test on my heart and the results came back well. The military doctors don't know what else to do. Could you please shine some light on a possible source of my pain? Thank you in advance.
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 19 minutes later
Hello and Welcome to XXXXXXX

What you are experiencing is called 'Radiculopathy'. It basically suggests entrapment of a nerve root in your cervical spine in its origin or course. It is somehow not so uncommon now in younger population and we like to call it industrial neck pain, since its prediliction towards people working in computer related industry.

It can be caused by lifting weights, episodes of over-exertion during work, long hours on computer, inappropriate posture while sleeping or sitting, lack of proper nutrition-exercises-rest-recreation or any other relevant past medical history.

If it has been persistent or even increasing since few days, you need to visit your orthopaedician. Depending upon the clinical findings they might ask you to get an MRI done, which shall help establish a diagnosis and in turn allow one to formulate a treatment plan.

Let me assure you that this is temporary and self limiting illness that usually the treatment goes in following lines: rest, lifestyle modifications (namely- avoiding pillow while sleeping, following a healthy diet plan, maintaining suitable posture while working on computer/driving, avoiding any activity that strikes neck discomfort), medications (that your physician prescribes) and most important physiotherapy ( in form of neck exercises, cervical traction if required along with local ultrasonics).

In case the pain is not adequately relieved with the present treatment then you may need oral muscle relaxants and methylcobalamnin supplements for proper relief.

Hope this helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Follow-up: Experiencing tingling sensation, pain and weakness on hand, shoulder and neck. Underlying cause? 2 hours later
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 9 minutes later
I am glad to know that I could address your concern.
Hope this discussion was useful. If you have no further queries, you can close the discussion. I will appreciate your review about the service.

Best wishes.

Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic Surgeon