Experiencing tingling in arms. Falling asleep. Diagnosed with Lyme's disease. What to do?

Dec 2012

I am 62 yr. old female, 135 lbs, non-smoker, active, low blood pressure. Have been experiencing tingling in both arms/ they are falling asleep, since yesterday. Nothing has changed, happened i.e. no fall/injury. Living on Nantucket Is....tick bite? Have summered on Nantucket 38 years and never diagnosed with Lymes disease...must have strong immune system.
Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 3 hours later

thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

If symptoms started shortly after initiation of wellbutrin and lexapro then it is possible that you might be experiencing a side effect of either or combination of both medications (known drug interactions between the two agents). Either increases toxicity of the other. I suggest you take with caution or you seek your doctor's opinion. Besides those two causes, I do not see any other possible thing that could be responsible for your numbness and tingling.

Dr. Bernard

Follow-up: Experiencing tingling in arms. Falling asleep. Diagnosed with Lyme's disease. What to do? 10 hours later
I have been taking anti-depressants for ten years so this sudden onset of numbness/tingling in my arms/hands is probably not due that. I do think it is tick related. Is it your opinion that it probably isn't tick related? The suddenness of onset makes me think it is a tick bite or infection of some sort and then when I read up on possible causes of tingling tick bite was one of the possibilities
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thanks for updating,

You need to know that side effects can come as a result of long term use of certain medications. You might have been using and tolerating them for over 10 years but it is possible that long term use resulted to the numbness/tingling.
Well tick is a possible but very very rare cause of numbness/tingling. It will require that you should be exposed first to an environment where ticks can be found, before you can develop those kind of symptoms related to the parasitic infection.
Peripheral neuropathy (idiopathic) is a more likely possibility given your age.
It will best to get a neurologist point of view, as this might be an early warning sign of developing systemic diseases.

Hope this helps further.
Dr. Nsah