Experiencing swelling and bruise on foot. Feeling discomfort. Cause?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My mother is experiencing bruising on top of foot at the third fourth and fifth toe, along with swelling and bruising directly underneath on the bottom of her foot. Not a lot of pain just some mild discomfort. What could this be?
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 19 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

To allow me to help you in better way, Let me know the following:-

If there is any history of any twisting injury to toes or being hitten by something over foot?
Is this bruise develop spontaneously or after any injury to her foot?
Is there any history of medication or allergy to any drug or food?

Awating for your reply.

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Follow-up: Experiencing swelling and bruise on foot. Feeling discomfort. Cause? 6 minutes later
She has struggled with food sensitivities and follows a vegan and gluten free diet. She can't remember if there was an injury however her grandson who weighs about 65 lbs did step on her foot a few days ago.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later
Thanks for posting your query again.

Brusing and swelling over her foot could be due to fracture.
If she is able to bear the weight on her limb without much pain then a bone injury is unlikely. She need to continue with rest and ice . Most of the times it is a soft tissue injury but it takes 7-10 days for the pain to subside.
If the pain getting worse , she need an xray to rule out any bony injury . Avoid putting weight and rest well.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing her good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.