Experiencing sensation of heat along inner thigh radiating to calf. Underlying cause and treatment?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am experiencing a sensation of heat along my inner left thigh which radiates intermittantly down to the calf. It is most noticeable in the upper thigh but begins roughly in the groin area. What does this symptom mean? I have no pain or swelling.
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 42 minutes later
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

If you are FEELING a sensation of warmth in your thigh without actually touching it, then it might be possibly due to a nerve irritation or compression.

In your case, I suspect the possibility of MERALGIA PARESTHETICA which indicates pressure on the Lateral femoral cutaneous nerve at the level of groin. The common causes are tight clothing around waist area, prolonged sitting in forward bending position and obesity.

The other possible causes that produces similar symptoms are -
* Shingles - in which case RASH will be present along with sensation of heat
* A nerve impingement in the lower back at the level of L3-L4
* A local problem in the form of muscle pull or spasm

You need a detailed evaluation in the form of EMG (electro myography) & Gabapentin (Neurontin) or Pregabalin (Lyrica) for a few days may help in resolving symptoms.

Hope I have justified your query. Happy to help for any more clarification.