Experiencing pulsating sensation in knee. Does it indicate any abnormality?

I am inquiring about my 16 year old son. He is healthy, no previous medical problems. He is currently experiencing a pulsing sensation in his left, inner knee. He says it almost feels like it is pulsing in time with his heart? I am wondering if this might just be a muscle twitch or if I should be more concerned about vein issues. Otherwise, he said it is slightly sore but no visible swelling. He is a wrestler but has been off for the last few weeks, so not too much physical activity the last few weeks. It started last night.
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Muscle twitch can not synchronise with heart beats.
A vein will not pulsate.

Pulsation implies, it is arterial – directly from the artery or an adjacent structure transmitting the pulsation. A large artery (Popliteal) runs behind the knee – it is a continuation of thigh artery (femoral) to the leg. Many of its small branches mix with each other (anastomosis) around the knee. He should be examined by a doctor.
Proper treatment needs proper diagnosis. Proper diagnosis in this case requires Physical examination and/or investigation.
Kindly take him to your doctor for further assessment and assistance.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck