Experiencing numbness, tingling sensation in chest, back and scapula area. What is going on?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
FOR PAST 2 WEEKS I HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING NUMBNESS/DECREASED SENSATION AND TINGLING RIGHT CHEST AREA AND RIGHT SIDE OF BACK AND SCAPULA AREA, UNDER MY EYES I HAVE HAD PUFFINESS AND NUMBNESS TOO (WORSE EARLY AM AND STARTED ABOUT 2 WEEKS AGO TO. I CAN PINCH RIGHT FRONT SIDE AND I CAN HARDLY FEEL IT. WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Posted Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

The most likely cause for your symptoms is truncal radiculopathy (neuropathy). The nerve starts at the upper back (from the spinal cord) and comes to the front of chest upto the midline. There is one nerve on each side, at different levels of the back and chest.

Diabetics are prone to get these types of nerve problems (even if sugar is under control).

There is no need to worry about it, as it does not lead to anything serious.

For symptom relief, you can take medications such as gabapentin or pregabalin.

I hope it helps, please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist