Experiencing nausea, vomitting, headache and backache. Blood and urine test normal. What is causing this?

Jan 2013

I have been experiencing constant nausea, vomitting, headache and now backache for the past 3 months. I have had an endoscopy, stomach emptying test and ultrasound of my gallbladder and abdomen. I have not had any fever and all of my bloodwork and urine come back "normal". My thyroid antibodies have been fluctuating it runs from 5.5 back to 2 then 5.5 and back to 2 within weeks. I wake up every morning with sweats and feel like I am going to vomit. I spent the last 3 nights in 3 different ER's trying to figure out what is wrong. I had been vomitting for the past 3 days -the worst day was the 3rd day which was non stop vomitting and diarrhea. Hospital just gave me nauseau meds and pain meds and sent me home. I cant live like this anymore. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?
Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 42 minutes later

1) Kindly answer the following question:
a) Have you diarrhea/ with vomiting during these last 3 months?
b) Have you any episode of fever with chills?
c) Have you any episode of bleeding from anus?
d) Have you any increased frequency of using washroom?
e) Type of abdominal pain- "in my opinion most likely it is spasmodic"
f) Thyroid antibodies means Thyroid peroxidase antibodies.

2) Presence of all normal investigation with persistence of vomiting & diarrhea show some sort of infection.

3) Yes, Acute gastroenteritis may persist for months. Generally if patient has watery shit then it is labelled as diarrhea but sometimes patients may have increased frequency for using washroom but he/ she is getting only small amount of shit. This is also a type of gastroenteritis.

4) Another possibility of Enteric fever, in which patient may have fever, vomiting, diarrhea, headache and backache.

5) You should consult with physician/ gastroenterologist for gastroenteritis.

6) If you have increased frequency of using washroom, spasmodic abdominal pain, vomiting then you are suffering from acute bacterial gastroenteritis, a rarely diagnose frequently occurring disease. Patient may have all your symptoms for months with all investigation normal.

7) You should also consult with neurologist.

Put your query if you have.

Best regards,

Dr. Mayank Bhargava