Experiencing left flank pain, shortness of breath. Ct scan showed small stone in kidney. Should I go to ER?

I have been experiencing left flank pain for 3 weeks and have had blood work and ct scan done. Ct scan showed a small stone in the left kidney. I have now been experiencing shortness if breath for over a week off and on. I have an appt. with urologist in 4 days but I am wondering if I should be going to an er?
Posted Thu, 11 Oct 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 39 minutes later
Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX
Left flank pain for 3 weeks is too long. It needs to be addressed early.
In addition to small stone in the kidney, CT needs to be looked for stones in the kidney pipe (ureter), block to the flow of urine or infection in the kidney.
The blood and urine need to be checked for evidence of infection.
If you have fever or vomiting, kindly rush to the ER.
Also, since you are short of breath, it is better to rush to the ER.
Otherwise, if the pain is getting relieved with pain killers and no fever and the urologist appointment is likely in less than a day or two, you may wait.
Take care,